For Curator’s Help
IUEH Academic Group Curator's memo
A leading specialist, an experienced lecturer, taking into account the profile of training of specialists and the specifics of the faculty activity, seniority of teaching work in a higher educational institution, is appointed to the position of an academic group curator.
The activities of the academic group curator are carried out on the basis of the Statute of the Academician Stepan Demianchuk International University of Economics and Humanities and the concept of educational work. The content of the activity is determined by the Law of Ukraine "On Higher Education", the State National Program "Education" ("Ukraine of the 21st Century"), "The Concept of Education of Children and Youth in the National System of Education", "National Doctrine of Development of Education of Ukraine in the 21st Century" - methodological documents of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, provisions developed by the relevant structural units, etc.
The activity of the curator is determined by the plan of educational work, developed for the semester and the academic year in accordance with the perspectives and annual planning of the higher education institution. Administratively the academic group curator reports to the deputy dean of the faculty of educational work and coordinates his activity with the dean and the head of the department. The results of the activities of the curator are systematically discussed at the meetings of the department, the faculty councils, the rectorates and the meetings of the academic council of the University in accordance with the working plan of the institution.
The work of the academic group curator implies the implementation of analytical, organisational and social functions. The analytical function involves the planning and organisation of educational work taking into account interpersonal relationships in the team, the motives of students' educational and cognitive activity, the level of their intellectual development, individual characteristics, social and living conditions, health, education, etc. The organiser's function is to involve students in various activities: cognitive, value-orientated, artistic and other. It also provides the necessary assistance to student self-government, creative groups, boards and more. The social function is realised in a humanist-oriented interaction "teacher-student". The curator assists the student in personal development, assimilation and perception of social norms and values. He takes on the responsibilities of a senior colleague in the process of mastering students' social roles. At the same time, the curator himself is the subject of socialisation, as he perceives and rethinks the social experience that the student carriers.
The content of the curator's activity is:
- approval in the academic group of the state approach and responsibility in solving problems of the educational process;
- acquisition of social experience by young people, inheritance of the spiritual heritage of the Ukrainian people;
- directing the intellectual activity of student youth to discuss the most common problems of today, engaging in work in various fields of scientific activity, conducting national-cultural, educational and organisational-pedagogical work among young people, studying the state language and history of Ukraine;
- formation of historical memory, national consciousness, dignity and a clear civic position;
- assisting students in mastering new intellectual visions of the world, in determining their place in it, developing abilities;
- formation of the optimal capacity of the student group and responsible attitude to the educational process;
- ensuring system-targeted planning of educational work, formation of civic and social activity in student youth by involving it in various activities;
- continuous cooperation, co-creation with the student's asset and student self-government bodies, youth creative associations, movements, as well as organisation the academic life, development of initiative, creativity, acquisition of organisational knowledge, skills;
- active involvement of students in the management of the educational process;
- educating students' interest and love for work;
- educational work with students who live in a hostel, promoting their healthy lifestyles, solving housing problems;
- implementation of continuous psychological and pedagogical diagnostics of the intellectual development level and moral education of students, adjustment of the educational process;
- making proposals to the rectorate, deans of the faculties about material encouragement of students and bringing to account the violators of the discipline;
- involve students' parents in the educational process.
The educational activity of the academic group curator is based on actions:
- participation in the seminars of curators, scientific and methodological associations of Academician Stepan Demianchuk IUEH;
- making a curator's working plan for a year and its implementation;
- individual work with students and individual groups of students;
- educational events;
- working with an academic group asset;
- working with lecturers that are reading the discipline in the group;
- interaction with parents of students;
- diagnosis, testing, questioning of students for the purpose of studying of individual features, professional qualities, level of students' education and analysis of development of student collective;
- analysis of the implementation of the educational working plan, correction of the working plan, drawing up working plans for vacations, plans of individual work, working in a hostel;
- organisation of students' alternation in the hostel;
- designing a curator's journal, compiling (if necessary) student characteristics;
- keeping a record and the group photo album.
The effectiveness of the curator's work depends largely on:
- scheduling work with a group asset;
- establishing relationships in the group and interaction with the lecturers in view of the pedagogical situation, as well as taking into account the individual characteristics of students;
- involvement of all students of the academic group in socially useful matters;
- ability to assist students in fulfilling many public roles; prevention of indifference, uncontrolledness and irresponsibility;
- promoting the development of student self-government, initiative, public activity.
The curator's educational activity is a sufficient level of the students' education. By being educated in a pedagogical sense, they mean a complex personality trait, characterised by the presence and level of formation of socially significant qualities reflecting the purpose of education.
The criteria for the efficiency of managing the educational system at the level of the academic group curator are:
- education level of future specialists;
- activity, group cohesion, socially beneficial nature of the group's activity
- stable mode of academic group work, absence of serious violations cases of labour and academic discipline;
- positive motivation of students' educational activities, which is manifested in educational, cognitive, research and other activities;
- micro-climate in a group that promotes self-realisation of each student's personality;
- the variety of forms of educational out-of-class work that promotes the self-realisation of the personality of each student;
- student self-government activities in the group;
- participation of the group in the academic events;
- favourable conditions for students of the 1st year to pass the adaptation period;
- students' experience of social behaviour.
The main directions of the educational work, according to the concept of national education of students are:
- National-patriotic education;
- Intellectual-spiritual education;
- Civil Law Education;
- Moral education;
- Ecological education;
- Aesthetic education;
- Labour education;
- Physical education and promotion of a healthy lifestyle
The efficiency of the educational work of an academic group curator is largely determined by its planning. It should be clear and purposeful, allowing many mistakes and negative phenomena to be avoided in the student group.
The plan of educational work provides realisation of specific goals and tasks. Depending on the purpose, each form of work has its own specificity and needs to take into account the interests, individual characteristics of each student, the co-creation of lecturers and students in the organisation of educational work, the validity of educational activities.
The main requirements for the working plan of the curator:
- purposefulness - that is, the content and forms of planned educational work involve the realisation of specific goals and objectives. Each case should help to achieve the goal. Depending on the purpose, each form of work has its own specificity in use;
- taking into account the needs and interests of each student of the academic group;
- co-creation of lecturers and students in the organisation of educational work;
- connection with life of society, future professional activity of the student;
- complex nature of plans;
- a holistic approach to the planning process;
- continuity of content and forms of educational work;
- concreteness, expediency of the plan, validity of the educational work, taking into account the peculiarities of the student collective, the level of its development, the established traditions;
Based on the results of the work during the semester, the academic group curator draws up a report, the main positions of which should be heard at the faculty council during the semester assessment of the curator's work.